The Horniman Circle with the garden in the center was planned in 1869 and completed in 1872. The whole complex was then named Elphinstone Circle after the Governor Lord John Elphinstone. The buildings were designed by James Scott as part of the redevelopment of Bombay which began under the Governorship of Sir Bartle Frere in the 1860s. After 1947 the Circle was renamed Horniman Circle. This name refers to Benjamin Horniman, an English journalist and editor of the "Bombay Chronicle" , who supported Indian independence.